As a vital part of the New York City racing community, Front Runners participates in races organized by New York Road Runners. With an eye toward meeting the needs of runners at every level, NYRR offers races at a wide array of distances -- everything from the Fifth Avenue Mile to the NYC Marathon and beyond (at 37.3 miles, the Knickerbocker 60K tops the marathon in distance). A majority of the races take place in Central Park, but races are held in all five of the city's boroughs.
NYRR designates 11 races per year as "points" races. In these events, Front Runners New York competes against all other area running teams, whereby the top five men and women finishers score for the open team and the top three men and women score for masters (40+), vets (50+), supervets (60+), and 70+ teams.
If you are running the race for Front Runners, we ask that you please wear your Front Runner singlet. If you do not have one, you can buy a singlet (or other FRNY merchandise) at any of the Central Park fun runs. Not only does this help club visibility, but it helps teammates to see you and cheer you on.
Team members who are not running the race enthusiastically support those on the course in a true spirit of camaraderie. After races, if the club hasn't organized a social activity, interested parties often go to a local restaurant to eat and to talk about the race.
FRNY encourages all its runners to participate in these points races because visibility is as important as performance. No runner can hurt the team's standings — only help.
Club Points Racing
There are two awards available to those who are active in the FRNY: the FRNY Inger-Jo Berger Participation Award and Athletic Achievement Award to recognizes those Front Runners who have demonstrated the highest levels of commitment to the team and to racing.
FRNY Inger-Jo Berger Participation Award
There are seven buckets. Each runner must complete all seven buckets (14 races total) by December 31st of any given year. A race can only count once. Members are responsible for reporting to the race captains their completion of any bucket.
- NYRR Points Races: Must run six (6) NYRR points races (these are announced by NYRR after the Club Council, of which FRNY is a member, votes on the points races).
- Relays: Any one (1) FRNY-supported relay, on a team consisting of at least 50% Front Runners. Eligible relays include the VCTC 2×2, Cherry Tree Relay, Reach the Beach, the Taconic Road Runners Relay, and the NYRR 10x5x200, or any relay consisting for a minimum of 1 kilometer per leg. FRNY will publish information, on our website and in the weekly FR Gram, regarding upcoming relays.
- FRNY races: Must complete 2 of the following: FRNY Track Meet, FRNY Indoor Tri, FRNY Pride Run, FRNY XC Meet, and Brooklyn Pride 5K. The dates of these events will be published as far in advance as possible.
- Long-course running: Must complete one (1) marathon or greater distance race, or half-Ironman triathlon. Alternatively, must complete three races of half-marathon or greater distance (25k, 30k for example), and/or International/Olympic triathlons or duathlons.
- NYC Club-sponsored race: Must complete three (3) non-FRNY sponsored races organized by NYRR-recognized local running clubs. FRNY will publish information regarding upcoming races on our calendar and in the weekly FR Gram, and examples of qualifying races are indicated on the FRNY Racing Sign-In Sheet. Qualifying local clubs appear under the tab "Eligible Local Clubs".
- Non-traditional/specialized running: Non-traditional/specialized running. Must complete one (1) non-traditional/specialized running race. Includes trail/cross country race, adventure race, ultra, track, or multisport (running + swimming and/or biking).
- Volunteering: Must volunteer twice (2) during the year for FRNY. Eligible opportunities include Saturday morning bageling, the Pride Run, the 24-mile water station, pasta dinner or pancake breakfast, the FRNY cross country meet, the FRNY track meet, long run home sponsor, FRNY event home sponsor, cheer zone captain, and other opportunities that will be announced throughout the year.
Athletic Achievement Award
The eligible races for this award are limited to the ones designated by NYRR's Club Council as Club Points Races. All members will be scored in five-year age groups (24 and under, 25-29, 30-34, etc., up to 70+). Age groups are based on a member's age in their first points race race of the year. All races, with the exception of the NYRR Team Championships, will be scored as follows:
1st place: 15 points
2nd place: 12 points
3rd place: 10 points
4th place: 8 points
5th place: 6 points
6th place: 5 points
7th place: 4 points
8th place: 3 points
9th place: 2 points
10th place or lower: 1 point
Did not run: 0 points
The NYRR Team Championships will count for Double Points (30, 24, 20...).
At the end of the year, runners will drop their two lowest scores, including zero-scores for not running a race. Thus, if a member runs 9 out of 10 points races for the year, the member's top 8 races will count.
Check out the current Achievement Award standings!