Guidelines & Past Beneficiaries
Past LGBT Pride Run Beneficiaries
Every year since 2009, Front Runners New York has presented a significant portion of the proceeds from the Pride Run to a charitable organization. This donation helps Front Runners fulfill its mission to serve the needs of both its members and the greater LGBT community. To learn about this year's Pride Run beneficiary, click here.
Past Beneficiaries have been:
In all, FRNY has given over $100,000 to charity since 2009.
Beneficiary Selection Process
In 2013, Front Runners New York began selecting the annual beneficiary by membership vote each January. Members had the opportunity to nominate organizations each fall that meet criteria set forth by our bylaws which would be narrowed down to 3-5 finalists by the Pride Run Committee. As we prepare for the 2016 race, the selection process has evolved. While members are still encouraged to nominate organizations for selection, they may also direct these organizations to the Pride Run webpages to apply directly. Please see below for eligibility, timeline, and application. The date of the 2016 LGBT Pride Run is Saturday, June 25th at 8:30 AM.
The Pride Run Beneficiary is chosen with the following qualifications in mind:
1) The organization must be a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
2) The organization aligns with the charitable purposes of FRNY, as stated in the Bylaws under "Article III - Purpose" which states:
C. FRNY’s charitable purposes are (i) to provide goods, services and support to people diagnosed with all types of life threatening illnesses, to those who have suffered catastrophic loss, and to their families, friends and loved ones; and (ii) to actively participate in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) community and the amateur athletic community in order to create greater visibility for LGBT athletes and more tolerance and justice for LGBT people of all athletic abilities.
3) The organization's primary purpose is individual or community support and not political or legislative advocacy. As stated in the FRNY Bylaws under "Article VIII - Nonpartisan:"
- FRNY has been formed under the New York Not-for-Profit law for the public purposes described above, and it shall be nonprofit and nonpartisan. No substantial part of the activities shall consist of the publication or dissemination of materials with the purpose of attempting to influence legislation, and FRNY shall not participate or intervene in any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office, or for or against any cause or measure being submitted to the people for a vote.
- FRNY shall not, in any substantial degree, engage in any activities or exercise any power in furtherance of the political purposes described above.
4) The organization is based in the New York City area or has an office or chapter in New York City.
5) Preference will be given to organizations who have not previously been a Pride Run Beneficiary.
The following timeline applied to the 2016 LGBT Pride Run Beneficiary:
November 5, 2015 - Application for 2016 LGBT Pride Run Beneficiary Opens.
November 30, 2015 - Application portal closes; Finalists chosen by Pride Run Committee and presented to the FRNY Board for approval.
December 5, 2015 - Information from submitted applications of finalists will be incorporated into 2016 Membership survey. Applications notified of status.
January 30, 2016 - Survey closes, with results from membership vote presented to Board prior to 2016 FRNY Awards Night for approval. 2016 Pride Run Beneficiary revealed to membership at Awards Night Banquet.
February 1, 2016 - 2016 Pride Run Beneficiary publicly announced. Finalists contacted.